Thursday, December 8, 2011

Taylor Swift

Today I think I'll go the exact opposite of yesterday's post. And obviously the exact opposite of Kanye is Taylor Swift. Taylor is a nice girl, and I personally don't like her music. I get in fights with my friend over how I like Kanye and she likes Tay-Tay.

What I find interesting is that both of these artists are popular. One is the nice southern girl who likes to sing about her boy problems and pulls at the hearts of every teenage girl who thinks that they have the same problems as Taylor. Or at least the love problems she says she's had in her songs. Oh and as a disclaimer, feel free to comment and shoot down anything that I say, I'm definitely not as educated on today's post as I was yesterday.

Taylor Swift started out in country music. Whether her music is still country is debatable, she gets plenty of play on the country radio stations, yet that might be just because she basically started her music career in Nashville and has some country-ish music. The point is, that pop stations and girls everywhere love her music because (once again) they feel that they can connect with it.

What happens with the Taylor Swift-like music is that people think that they can relate to it. Most people have had their share of relationships and problems with them and Taylor likes to write about the girl side of those problems. While we have Kanye's new American Dream, to be rich and famous and the self-proclaimed most awesome person ever, Taylor's style is more of a thing where people can relate to the problems and moods expressed in her songs.

I do think that she's talented with the poetry side of things. I really hope she is seeing as she's so popular. But she demonstrates another side of pop music and another kind of American identity that contrasts greatly to other types of people out there. See you tomorrow for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment