Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Before I start, I'll share this link that I just happened to come across from the band CAKE's Facebook page.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/12-extremely-disappointing-facts-about-popular-mus
Well that's depressing. The article is obviously biased seeing as there is no kind of music that is universally "better" than other music.

Now I'll talk about the nineties. Nirvana is the first name that comes to a lot of people's minds when we think about 90's music. Smells Like Teen Spirit won MTV's top 100 songs of the nineties. Rock was once again the focus for a few years, with bands like Nirvana and Metallica being known by everybody. This "alternative" music reflected a completely new brand of "grunge" kids, that seemed to not care about anything and were more rebellious than ever. And then comes my generation!

Now, the popular music (imaginatively called "pop") is dominant everywhere. Even if you don't try and listen to the kid's music, there's a chance you know some of the words to at least a couple songs. And you know who Justin Bieber is whether you want to or not. If we look at common themes in the music of the last 10 years it has a lot to do with partying and having fun, and not much else. It borrows random little bits from other genres, and lately has been borrowing a lot of dance beats. (Dance music=Party music.)

I know I sound like some old loser who hates the kids music, but I'm just calling it like I see it. I know my share of pop songs and if I was so against it I'd probably just shut myself out from it even more than I do now. And as a sort of a disclaimer I'll say that all music is equal, none is better or worse than other types of music. All the artists I mention have made a ton of money as musicians and I haven't, so they win.

No comments:

Post a Comment